June Runfessions

June Runfessions

The end of June? Already? Time flies when you’re having fun, and June has been a fun month for me! How has your month been? I’m linking up with Marcia from Marcia’s Healthy Slice for another Runfessions session!

My college BFF and me catching up in Las Vegas

I runfess, despite my lackluster workout activity, I had a pretty good month. June started with a business trip to Las Vegas. Though we live less than an hour apart, I haven’t seen my best college friend in years. We made some very last-minute plans for her to meet me in Sin City, where we hit the ground running (sadly, not literally). We ate too much, we drank too much, we gambled a bunch, and we had an absolute blast. She’s been tip-toeing her way into distance racing in the past few years, and I promised her if she can work up to a half marathon, I will run it with her. So while it’s far, far away, we plan to run the Disney Princess Half together in 2020!

Image result for reset button doesn't work gif
There’s something wrong with my reset button

I have to runfess, though I hit the reset button last month, it must need new batteries or something. I’m still carrying my excess weight, and boy, am I feeling it–especially with this heat wave we are in! I’m not circling the drain or anything, but I am caught in a loop. It’s the one where I haven’t been running, so I’ve gained some weight, so I feel like crap. And I feel like crap because I’ve gained some weight, so I haven’t been running. Blah, blah, blah. I’m doing much better this week, so hopefully I can keep the momentum going.

runfess, as I watched the weather predictions leading up to Grandma’s Marathon this month, I secretly hoped the storm predictions would come true and they would cancel the race. My biggest worry wasn’t the lack of training (after all, I’m an expert at that), it’s just that I’ve never run in the rain! I didn’t know how it would be for 26.2 miles.

From what I can see, it looks like we’re both wearing the same medal

When we went to bed the night before the race, my weather app said 80% – 90% chance of storms. I rolled over at around 2:00 a.m. and checked the app, and it said 60% chance. Then at around 4:00 a.m. it said 40% chance. And lo and behold, by the time we woke up, my app said 0% chance of rain! I seriously don’t know if I was happy or sad to see that. I did hit a heavy drizzle for about a mile during the race, but other than that, race conditions were good. And while I didn’t break any records, I lived to tell about it, and my son got a 13-minute PR!

I must runfess, after spending endless weeks complaining whining about how cold our winter was, I never expected to be complaining whining about how hot summer is. At least not this early! We are seriously only nine days into the season, and I think I’ve complained about the weather every. single. day. Seriously…can we not find a happy medium?

That would be me

 

 

Last, I runfess I’m a little nervous about the Berlin Marathon. It has a shorter cutoff time than I’m used to, and the thought of the gates closing and forcing me to take public transportation to the finish is a little nerve wracking for me. I’ve literally walked Chicago and finished with an official time so I should be fine, but I think maybe it’s the whole foreign-country thing that has me worried. I’ve never DNFd a race, and doing so over 4000 miles from home would be a little disheartening!

 

 

I’m also linking up with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for the Friday Five.

How has your month been? Do you have anything good to runfess? Are you loving or hating this hot summer weather?

28 Comments

  1. I have been whining about the heat as well lately. It’s just not fun is it?! My goal for July is to learn how to adapt to it

  2. I think it’s hard to get used to the weather when it changes so much. Summer could be here to stay now though. Hot, hot, hot!

  3. I can totally relate to sort of hoping for a race cancellation. Glad Grandma’s turned out well for you. I will say, Europeans take their races seriously and overall the field is way faster than what we see here in the states. I advise you to take that cutoff time in Berlin seriously. They don’t mess around and I was pretty BOTP at 5 hours.

    1. Author

      Thanks for the great advice, Marcia. I heard it’s a fast course. I’ve been tapping in to a lot of my social media groups and am definitely taking this one seriously!

  4. I will still NOT complain about how hot the weather is. Bring it on, heat wave!!

    1. Author

      Haha I am not at that point yet! I went from complaining about the cold to complaining about the heat. I guess I will never be happy!

  5. I runfess that I hate the summer heat so I’m so not happy about the current heatwave we’re experiencing!

    Congrats again on your marathon finish at Grandmas!

  6. I won’t lie, when I ran Big Sur on minimal training (I was battling PF most of my training), I was nervous about the 6 hour cut off time. Thankfully, that wasn’t an issue but yikes!

    And this weather is ridiculous. From one extreme to the other.

    1. Author

      My son just told me Big Sur is one of his bucket list races, so I guess I will eventually be there! I think I will have to train for that one!

  7. I think it’s great you’re planning to run with your college friend in 2020! It sounds far away, but with the way these months are flying by it will be here soon enough!

  8. I feel for those of you who are dealing with the heat and humidity. We still have mild weather here in So Cal, but don’t you worry our heat will come!
    I’m glad your marathon went well and very cool that you have plans with a friend to run the Disney Princess Half. Running is such a great way to bring friends together!

    1. Author

      So Cal is so absolutely beautiful, but of course I don’t have to tell you that! I’m so excited my friend has gotten into running. We’ve done so many things together over the past almost-40 years, it will be great to add one more thing we can do together to the list!

  9. I thought I commented yesterday, but I’m not seeing it (?). And, of course I totally forgot what I said LOL Anyways…the heat seems to be a “hot” topic these days…YIKES, it was over 100 in Iowa yesterday. I can tolerate the heat, but I definitely prefer it to not be triple digits.

    1. Author

      Thanks for resubmitting! I really don’t mind the heat at all – in fact I prefer to run in weather a little warmer than most people do – it’s just the humidity that gets to me!

  10. Glad you survived your race, and congrats to your son on his PR! We definitely got hit by a heat wave as well–it’s supposed to be at least 99 tomorrow!

    1. Author

      Thanks, Farrah! He’s so excited and now wants to push for a BQ at Chicago in October! It looks like much of the country is dealing with this heat wave.

  11. Thanks for linking up with us.

    I think it’s fabulous that you plan to do PHM with your BFF. That is a great race to have as a first half marathon and since it is at Disney, i think she’ll be hooked!

    1. Author

      The Princess Half will be fun! She’s a Disney fanatic has already done some of their smaller races with her daughter. It will be great to do it together!

  12. Eek, I’d be worried about a tight time frame to finish a marathon in too. Have you explored the public transit options just in case you wind up needing to use it? Of course, I hope that you don’t need it whatsoever and that you finish with plenty of time to spare.

    1. Author

      I haven’t explored things yet, but they seem to have some system set up – free if you’re wearing a race bib. But I don’t plan to need it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *